I had the pleasure of sitting and watching my 9 year old son take part in the Trenton Thunder Youth Baseball Camp. About 75 kids (7-14 years old) took part. The kids go from station to station being instructed by 10 current Trenton Thunder players and coaches.
Note: Trenton Thunder are the AA affiliate of the New York Yankees based in Trenton, NJ.
The kids get to learn from guys that are working their way up to the big leagues. They get to hit in the same batting cages underneath the dugout that Derek Jeter and Robinson Cano did. Get to work in the bullpen where Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Phil Hughes did. The stations the campers run through are:
1) Hitting in the cage - unable to observe as it’s under the dugout
2) Fielding grounders and popups - two groups on both sides of the infield
3) Baserunning - being timed by the players, being shown how to take the proper lines
4) Flyballs in the outfield - some fun with diving catches and catches up against the outfield wall
5) Pitching in the bullpen - with the radar gun which is always a blast for the kids
The best part about the camp is Continue reading